Saturday, December 18, 2010

Moving Along the Curve

The third anniversary of my surgery is ~Dec. 21.   In a previous post I mentioned the K-M curves.  At 36 months - the probability is about 0.75, and at the endpoint (66 months) it's about 0.68.  So, I am about 90% along the curve - probability-wise that is.   Dr. B, my gastro-doc, says I can be checked biennially (not biannual which is synonymous with semiannual)  now. And Dr A., my onc-doc, says we are going to annual scans.  Nurse E says it's time for the chemo port be removed. It was useful for infusing CT scan contrast fluid. The Power Port can handle  the high pressure and flow rate of the iodine contrast.  The MRI people never had someone who was port capable so they did a venipuncture.   Since the port requires a monthly flush with heparinized saline, and there is a risk of infection etc., the low rate of usage does not justify it staying in. It's been in for over three years.  Anyhow, I hope I'm not jinxing anything by having it out.   :)

No comments: