Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mae West Quotations

Mae West (click to enlarge)
Mae West was a very smart, witty, and sexy, woman.   As a screenwriter and actor,  she wrote and  delivered many of the "lines"  listed below on Broadway and in her movies. 

  • A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up.
  • A hard man is good to find.
  • A man has one hundred dollars and you leave him with two dollars, that's subtraction.
  • A man in the house is worth two in the street.
  • A man's kiss is his signature.
  • All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.
  • An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.
  • Any time you got nothing to do - and lots of time to do it - come on up.
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.
  • Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
  • Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided.
  • Don't keep a man guessing too long - he's sure to find the answer somewhere else.
  • Don't marry a man to reform him - that's what reform schools are for.
  • Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.
  • Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you.
  • He who hesitates is a damned fool.
  • His mother should have thrown him out and kept the stork.
  • I always say, keep a diary and someday it'll keep you.
  • I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it.
  • I believe that it's better to be looked over than it is to be overlooked.
  • I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
  • I like restraint - if it doesn't go too far.
  • I never loved another person the way I loved myself.
  • I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.
  • I only have 'yes' men around me. Who needs 'no' men?
  • I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
  • I'll try anything once - twice if I like it - three times to make sure.
  • I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action.
  • I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
  • I've been in more laps than a napkin.
  • If I asked for a cup of coffee, someone would search for the double meaning.
  • It ain't no sin if you bend a few laws now and then - just so long as you don't break any.
  • It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
  • Look your best - who said love is blind?
  • Love conquers all things - except poverty and toothache.
  • Love isn't an emotion or an instinct - it's an art.
  • Love thy neighbor - and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier.
  • Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.
  • Personally, I like two types of men - domestic and imported.
  • Save a boyfriend for a rainy day - and another, in case it doesn't rain.
  • She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
  • The best way to hold a man is in your arms.
  • The score never interested me, only the game.
  • Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.
  • To err is human, but it feels divine.
  • Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.
  • When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
  • You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
-- Mae West

No comments: