This could be the year. The elfstedenkorts had begun..
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Caffeine is the most used drug on the planet.. (see Wikipedia link for details). This post is related to where, and how much, caffeine is in plant sources.
- Coffee - The plants are called Coffea Arabica and Coffea Canephora . Cheaper, easier to cultivate, robusta coffee comes from the Canephora varieties and has almost twice the caffeine of arabica. Espresso blends contain significant amounts of robusta beans. Concentrations of caffeine are usually quoted in percentage of dry bean weight. Using 2% as an average - one scoop of coffee (about 12 gm) would have 240 mg of caffeine. The amount extracted from drip methods could be about half.
- Tea - Camellia Sinensis . The leaves contain an average of 3% caffeine by dry weight.
- Maté - Ilex paraguariensis and Ilex Guayusa. This South American plant has leaves which contain about 1% caffeine.
- Guarana - Paullinia cupana . The seeds of this Amazonian climber contain about 2% caffeine.
- Cola (Kola) - Kola Nut from Cola Acuminata . The nuts/fruits contain about 2% caffeine.
Last night a wooden utility pole cracked at the base and fell toward the neighboring pole across the street. This caused the wires to d...
Mycobacterium Tuberculosis source wikipedia The etymology of the Yiddish term paskudnyak is fairly clear. In Russian the word паскуд...
Yiddish is a wonderfully expressive language. Knowing even a few words brings a feeling of self naches . The feeling arises from a deep ...
Mae West (click to enlarge) Mae West was a very smart, witty, and sexy, woman. As a screenwriter and actor, she wrote and delivered ...