Saturday, December 22, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
My holiday food groups are: Coffee, Champagne, Rugelach, Gravlax, Johnnie Walker, Ben&Jerry, IPA..
Saturday, December 1, 2012
- Measuring is crucial. Most manufacturers use their own measures. Typically, one drip coffee measuring spoon/scoop makes one drip coffee cup (water volume) of brewed drip coffee. Neither measure is standard so it's useful to find out what your machine really uses in standard units - metric or English.
- A drip scoop of finely ground coffee is close to 2 tablespoons in volume. In metric units that's about 30 ml (milli-liters). Sometimes weighing ground coffee is convenient. The density of uncompressed (loose) dry ground coffee is about 0.25 grams per ml For compressed finely ground coffee, it's closer to 0.4 grams/ml.. So one scoop weighs about 30 x 0.25 g/ml, or about 7 grams. You can test this by weighing several scoops on a small postal scale. One ounce (not fluid ounce) weighs 28.35 grams. Two scoops should be close to one ounce. Zero out the empty container weight first. (We all forget to do this at least once)..
- One "cup" of drip coffee uses five to six fluid- ounces of water. In metric units that's 150 to 180 ml. Note: these are volume measures.
- Make just the right amount. Don't attempt to use the full capacity of a ten cup maker. And making one cup at a time won't work well with a large coffee maker.
- Selecting the right grind is important. If the grains are too fine, they will clog the filter. If they are too coarse, the extraction will be poor.
- Water contact time and temperature are important parameters. Properly calibrated drip coffee makers do this for you. I like to use Melitta style paper filters (line-bottom cone) in combination with the gold mesh. Simplifies clean up.
Sunday, September 30, 2012
Blasphemy - Blas and phemy - Greek I am sure. (spread - rumors )
The blas part - βλαστάνω - sprout, vegetate, germinate, bud, burgeon
The phemi part: φημες - rumors
|rumor||φήμη, θρύλος, διάδοση|
|name||όνομα, φήμη, προσωνυμία, υπόληψη|
|celebrity||διασημότητα, προσωπικότητα, φήμη, εξοχότης|
|character||χαρακτήρας, προσωπικότητα, γράμμα, είδος, φήμη, ήρωας μυθιστορήματος|
|report||έκθεση, αναφορά, απολογισμός, φήμη, κρότος|
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Monday, August 20, 2012
Thursday, August 16, 2012
|Google Doodle for 8/15/2012|
Julia's show on WGBH television was a lot of fun for me. More than thirty years ago, I bumped into Julia in Harvard Square. She was tall and a bit clumsy in her movements. This was familiar to all those who watched her in the kitchen. The highest accolade was the sketch by Dan Aykroyd on "Saturday Night Live", which I watched in real-time - in 1978 . Tempus Fugit.
Monday, August 6, 2012
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
|Group of women selected by NASA for astronaut|
Sally also started from a modest background. Both Sally and Ron had doctorates in physics - Sally from Stanford and Ron from MIT.
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Monday, July 16, 2012
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Fourth anniversary of the end of chemo (July 2008). Fifth anniversary of the beginning of diagnostic process (July 2007). Now I know why they said it takes five years for nerve damage to repair - I found that shocking then and I still do. Hey, I'm alive.
Friday, May 25, 2012
Sunday, May 6, 2012
Apparent Size Change
Apparent Brightness ChangeIn addition, light from each location, or point, on the moon spreads out in all directions. Since the light from each point travels a shorter distance to earth, the famous inverse square law says that detector (eye) would receive about 12% more light, from each point on the moon, due to the change in distance. With an imaging detector like the eye, or a camera. each point on the film or retina receives more light independent of the size of the moon. This change is unlikely to be perceived as a big change brightness of the moon but it may add to the overall effect of a "super moon" , or supermoon.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Klimeck died after spending more than two weeks in a medically induced coma due to extensive brain injuries from a prolonged lack of oxygen after accidentally hanging himself during the play. He died in the Hospital Santa Casa de Misericordia, in the neighboring city of Itapeva.
The cause of death was not immediately available, although photos taken by a local photographer show the final moments of the play as Klimeck as Iscariot, hangs himself as described in the book of Matthew.
Janaina Carvalho, a member of the theatre group told reporters. "I started talking to Tiago and asked him to help us to take the rope. When I realized he did not answer, I and other actors call for help."
Klimeck was unconscious when removed from the tree, and immediately rushed to the hospital. Scans found the incident caused cerebral anoxia due to lack of oxygen to the brain, leading to a medically induced coma. The actor was placed on life support following the tragedy, and removed just over two weeks later on April 22 when he passed.
Police investigator Jose Victor Bassetti says that this was the third year the local fire department had allowed the theater company uses the harness for the play and that Klimeck was not supervised because he knew how to use the equipment.
The harness, along with the rope used in the play, is now being analyzed at the Criminal Institute of Sorocaba.
"One of the actors came over to me, desperate, explaining there was someone unconscious hanging from the rope and that he wanted to cut it," Luiz Carlos Rosner, who owns a sandwich cart next to the city square where the play was taking place. "I was a little worried about giving him a knife in the middle of the crowd."
------------------------------© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
Saturday, April 7, 2012
|Sóley, Click for site|
|Sunna (click for info)|
|Sunna (click for info)|
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
|Boston Green Line Car|
|Boston: Red Line Train|
The Boston subway system is nicknamed "the T", a truncation of MBTA and it's earlier incarnation, the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). This is not to be confused with New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority which is also called the MTA.
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
|Google Doodle, 2/22/2012|
Frequency (or more precisely temporal frequency) is a fundamental physical idea. All kinds of objects vibrate , more or less, periodically - leaves flutter in the wind, hollow tubes whistle, trees sway, balls bounce. etc. etc. Surface waves move water up and down and move foward and backward. The frequency spectrum of a time-domain function is a unique transformation (the Fourier transform). Time and frequency are dual variables related through an analytic duality. Here is a list of dualities. The one of interest here is Pontryagin duality .
Monday, February 13, 2012
View Larger Map
It was great fun. It's been 15 years since the last really deep freeze in Friesland when an official Elfstedentocht was held.
Here is a photo link to my trip album (click to enlarge).
And also a video link.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
|Google Doodle - 1/11/2012|
Steno tried organized religion and found it wanting. Ironically, he may land up being made a saint by a large religious organization.