Monday, February 13, 2012

Speedskating Trip To The Netherlands

Yesterday,  I skated about 80 km of canal ice in Friesland,  in the north-eastern part The Netherlands.   My plan was to skate the entire 200 km Elfstedentocht route.   However, I was waylaid by several Frisian pirates on the icy canals and forced to drink Beerenburg.  The sun was going down and I was advised that  canal skating tipsy and in the dark was not a good idea.  So we skated tipsy until sunset.  I started at Leeuwarden, skated to Sneek, then IJlst, Workum, Bolsward, Witmarsum and Harlingen.


View Larger Map
 It was great fun.  It's been 15 years since the last really deep freeze in Friesland when an official Elfstedentocht was held.

Here is a photo link to my trip album (click to enlarge).


And also a video link.

Enjoy.

No comments: