Friday, August 22, 2008

Good MRI Results

To my concerned neighbors, friends and caregivers,

I just met with my MGH oncologist to discuss the results of my latest post-chemo MRI study. A CT scan two weeks ago showed some anomalies in my liver that could have been metastatic cancer but were not typical of metastasis. To confirm this, an abdominal MRI study was performed on Wednesday night. The radiologist interprets the objects as likely cycts and not cancer. This is great news. Even though I was prepared for the worst, bad news would mean a completely different pattern of therapy (more chemo, surgery, etc. ) and a much lower chance of survival. Happy as I am about these results, I would never declare myself cured at this early stage. The next few years are ones of intense monitoring and recurrence is possible. As with many like me, the memories are fresh and we are traumatized. For some, me certainly, the fear will never fade. The end of chemo is not the end of fear and anxiety.

Here is a link which explains some of the emotions that can occur after cancer treatment.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cancer-survivor/CA00071

There is a tendency to not care about the body which has already let you down. Earlier habits of exercise, healthy eating, weight control, self care, etc. need to be reprogrammed. It's easy to fall into a self-destructive pattern and I don't see this as irrational at all. It's a choice and a daily struggle. After all, why die of cancer when you can die of something more fun like vodka poisoning. :-) or skydiving .

--Dave

No comments: